Teacher: Won Huh
Listen to the book of 1 Thessalonians from BibleGateway: ESV, KJV, MSG, NIV
After getting severely flogged, insulted and jailed in Philippi, Paul and Silas went to Thessalonica and turned the city upside down by preaching the gospel about Jesus Christ. Only after about a month they were suddenly sent away to Berea and then to Athens. Read about the events of Thessalonica in Acts Chapter 17 before reading the 1st letter to the Thessalonians.
- What happened in Thessalonica that caused such a ruckus?
- What is it about the gospel that can raise such a controversy?
Paul was so worried about the Thessalonian church he left behind that he sent Timothy back to see how the infant church was doing. After hearing the news from Timothy, Paul wrote his first letter to the church in Thessalonica.
- What did the Thessalonians do when severe suffering came their way?
- What did Paul write to comfort their grieving?
- In this sinful world, Christians are not immune from grieving, but what makes us different in our grief?
- Look for the recurring themes of faith, love and hope – the 3 fruits of Christianity.
Outline of 1 Thessalonians from Skip Heitzig
- Transmission of Faith (1 Thessalonians 1)
- Demonstration of Love (1 Thessalonians 2)
- Exhortation to Godliness (1 Thessalonians 3:1-4:12)
- Instruction for the End Times (1 Thessalonians 4:13-5:28)