Teacher: Won Huh
The Books of Chronicles retell the history of the Israelites found in the Books of Samuel and Kings but with a focus on the Davidic covenant and the Temple. If genealogies bore you, start reading from Chapter 10. King David is mentioned in the Books of Chronicles more than any other kings of Judah and Israel. He is lifted up as the gold standard of kings and the other kings are measured against this standard.
- What was it about David that warranted such a high regard?
- Why was David considered “a man after God’s own heart”?
- What does studying about David with his warts and all tell you about the character of God?
- What do you make of Chapter 21 where David’s census brings about pestilence and death to 70,000?
Listen to the book of 1 Chronicles from BibleGateway: ESV, KJV, MSG, NIV, NKJV
Short Outline of 1 Chronicles from Today's English Version
- Genealogies and lists (1:1 – 9:44)
- The death of Saul (10:1-14)
- The reign of David (11:1 – 29:30)
- Troubles and achievements (11:1 – 22:1)
- Preparations for the building of the Temple (22:2 – 29:30)