Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther
Teacher: Dee Briggs
- Please read the books of Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther, but please read Esther first.
- Esther was chosen to be queen by King Xerxes. Ezra and Nehemiah were sent to Jerusalem about twenty-plus years later, when the son of Xerxes, Artaxerxes, had become king.
- Question: King Artaxerxes seems to have been very sympathetic and helpful to the Jews of his time. Do you think his opinions and attitudes might have been influenced by the story of Esther, which must have taken place while he was a young prince?
- Also, please jot down any questions or comments to share with the group on May 7.
See you next Sabbath-
Listen to the book of Ezra from BibleGateway: ESV, KJV, MSG, NIV, NKJV
Short Outline of Ezra from Today's English Version
- The first return from exile (1:1 – 2:70)
- The Temple is rebuilt and dedicated (3:1 – 6:22)
- Ezra returns with other exiles (7:1 – 10:44)
Listen to the book of Nehemiah from BibleGateway: ESV, KJV, MSG, NIV, NKJV
Short Outline of Nehemiah from Today's English Version
- Nehemiah returns to Jerusalem (1:1 – 2:20)
- The walls of Jerusalem are rebuilt (3:1 – 7:73)
- The Law is read, and the covenant is renewed (8:1 – 10:39)
- Further activities of Nehemiah (11:1 – 13:31)
Listen to the book of Esther from BibleGateway: ESV, KJV, MSG, NIV, NKJV
Short Outline of Esther from Today's English Version
- Esther becomes queen (1:1 – 2:23)
- Haman’s plots (3:1 – 5:14)
- Haman is put to death (6:1 – 7:10)
- The Jews defeat their enemies (8:1 – 10:3)