Esther and Job
Teacher: Gordy Gates
Listen to the book of Esther from BibleGateway: ESV, KJV, MSG, NIV
- Why would a book that does not mention God be in the Bible?
- Do you see God at work in this story through "coincidences"?
- Are Mordecai and Esther examples of how to live a holy life?
Short Outline of the Books of Esther from the Today's English Version:
- Esther becomes queen (1:1 – 2:23)
- Haman’s plots (3:1 – 5:14)
- Haman is put to death (6:1 – 7:10)
- The Jews defeat their enemies (8:1 – 10:3)
Listen to the book of Job from BibleGateway: ESV, KJV, MSG, NIV
- What... Why would God allow Satan to afflict Job?
- What are Job's friends assumptions about God and justice?
- What are Job's assumptions about God and justice?
- Is Job's vantage point a problem in understanding God?
Short Outline of the Books of Job from the Today's English Version:
- Prologue (1:1 – 2:13)
- Job and his friends (3:1 – 31:40)
- Job’s complaint (3:1-26)
- The first dialogue (4:1 – 14:22)
- The second dialogue (15:1 – 21:34)
- The third dialogue (22:1 – 27:23)
- In praise of wisdom (28:1-28)
- Job’s final statement (29:1 – 31:40)
- The speeches of Elihu (32:1 – 37:24)
- The Lord answers Job (38:1 – 42:6)
- Epilogue (42:7-17)